Re: Op Ed piece to use to promote Open Access

From: Subbiah Arunachalam <subbiah_a_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 04:03:21 +0000 (GMT)

Dear Stevan:

You may write such popular articles periodically and
send them to feature services who may distribute them
to newspapers worldwide.

You may also target library science journals.

Regards.

Arun

Dear Arun,

http://www.canada.com/search/story.aspx?id=8e912f55-eb8e-459e-8e7a-a7bd6d8dc995

> [...]
> > >
> > > But there is one prominent exception. University
> > > reseachers are paid to *do*
> > > research, but they publish it (in research
> journals)
> > > for free. Unlike all
> > > other authors, they don't ask for any fee or
> royalty
> > > for these writings.
> > >
> > > Why?
> > >
> > > Because in publishing them they are not looking
> for
> > > sales revenue but
> > > for "research impact." How many users read,
> apply,
> > > use, build-upon and cite
> > > my research? Those are the numbers on which the
> > > researcher's career and
> > > research-funding depend.
> > >
> > > So what's the problem then? This knowledge was
> > > give-away knowledge
> > > already in the paper era. Now that we have the
> Web,
> > > we can give
> > > it all away big-time!
> > >
> > > Not so fast!
> > >
> > > I said the researchers give it away, but that
> > > doesn't mean its users don't
> > > have to pay! For the only way to get access --
> > > either on paper or online
> > > -- to the contents of the 24,000 research
> journals
> > > in which 2.5 million
> > > research articles appear yearly every year is
> for
> > > the would-be user's
> > > university to pay for access. And the fact is
> that
> > > the access-tolls
> > > are so high that universities can afford access
> only
> > > to a small and
> > > shrinking fraction of them. That means that the
> > > world's research output
> > > is inaccessible to most of its would-be users,
> > > despite the fact that it
> > > is and always has been an author give-away!
> > >
> > > This represents a great loss to research,
> > > researchers, their institutions,
> > > their research funders, and the tax-payers who
> are
> > > paying for it all. It
> > > has been estimated that articles that are
> accessible
> > > toll-free on the
> > > Web have 336% more research impact than those
> that
> > > are only available
> > > via toll-access. (336% may not seem like a large
> > > increase, but
> > > considering that most research is not cited at
> all,
> > > this figure is
> > > actually astronomical.)
> > >
> > > Why are there still access-blocking tolls, then?
> So
> > > that journals can
> > > continuing making ends meet. Why do we still
> need
> > > journals at all, if
> > > access can be provided for free on the Web?
> Because
> > > journals provide "peer
> > > review," which ensures that the research is

=== message truncated ===