Re: On the Need to Take Both Roads to Open Access

From: Jan Velterop <jan_at_biomedcentral.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 23:50:32 +0000

Dear Jim,

It seems that Open Access can mean many (well, at least two) different
things, and perhaps in that respect the analogy with food is appropriate.
With a dearth of food it's just anything edible one craves, even though it
doesn't taste nice or has long-term undesirable effects; if there is an
abundance, one doesn't have to be concerned about mere sustenance and the
taste, quality, nutritiousness, and general effect on one's health becomes
more important.

So with Free Access and Open Access. Discussing the difference is only
important in the sense that perceptions of what Open Access is may influence
some expectations. The agenda -- or I should perhaps say the focus -- of the
two principle strands of Open Access advocacy is somewhat different, but not
in any way conflicting. The self-archiving strand, if I may call it that,
aims to ensure free access to research articles as fast and as wide as
possible. Period. And that's a very good thing, particularly for
access-starved researchers and students in developing countries. "Free
Access for the starving" if you wish. The more of it, the better, and I
fully agree with that aim. Even some traditional publishers do (which I find
puzzling at best and suspicious at worst; either they don't understand the
consequences or they don't believe there will be any; it's not researchers
that need to worry about that, but librarians, I guess).

The other strand, Open Access publishing, aims to fundamentally transform
scientific publishing so that sustainable free access (and more; hence the
difference in terminology: Open Access - Free Access) becomes the norm. If
successful, this delivers "Organic Open Access"; Open Access from inception;
structural Open Access; for the starving and the well-fed alike. No support
here from the traditional publishers, perhaps not very surprisingly.

The two strands are related, of course, but not the same. Eventually, also
the self-archiving strand will effect a transformation of scientific
publishing. The benefit of a discussion like the one on this list is that we
all gain understanding of what exactly is going on.

Some of the confusion may be attributable to the two stands co-inciding.
Were self-archiving successful already (no reason why that shouldn't have
been possible; Stevan's been banging the drum for at least a decade now),
the transformation of science publishing might have been seen as a
completely natural and logical consequence. Conversely, had Open Access
publishing been started earlier and be the norm by now, self-archiving would
be pretty much redundant.

But neither is the case, and it makes sense to keep pushing on both fronts.
As a movement, open access could do worse than follow Stevan's strategy:
publish in an open access journal when you can; if there is no open access
journal for you, publish where you can and self-archive. As a company, we
have taken on the daunting task of delivering open access to the academic
community, as a service that is superior to the toll-access that traditional
publishers offer and in head-on competition with them.

With regard to preservation and your anecdote, in the short term
preservation may not be all that important (if you're very hungry, the
long-term effects of eating only carbohydrates doesn't worry you). But in
the long term it is. Not for every article, you're right, and, as you say,
probably only for a small minority. But as we cannot at this juncture know
for which ones it will be important (the future 'paradigmatic' articles) and
for which ones not, it is important for every article. Do you mind if I
don't speculate with regard to the OA articles that may be judged as
'classical' in the future? I feel only safe speculating that it will be none
of mine!

Best regards,

Jan