Re: Directory of Open Access Journals

From: Jan Velterop <jan_at_BIOMEDCENTRAL.COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 13:54:05 -0000

"a funding model that *charges* any users or their institutions *for the
online version* are not included unless the online version is *also OPENLY
accessible* to EVERYONE ON THE WEB toll-free"?

You gotta be kiddin'. Truisms like this are not clarifying, they are
confusing. "This costs you unless we also don't charge for it"? "The moon is
not made of cheese unless it is made of cheese".

My suggestion:
"Journals that charge anybody for access to the online version of research
articles, or erects other access barriers such as compulsory registration,
anytime, anywhere, are not included. (Charging only for the parallel print
edition is acceptable.)"

Jan