Re: Open Access Does Not require Republishing and Reprinting Rights

From: <zielinskic_at_who.int>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 14:54:38 +0000

To set the record straight, moral rights were supposed to have been
introduced into the US subsequent to its accession to the Berne Convention,
but this has not been implemented in the DMCA or elsewhere. The argument is
that "sufficient protections already exist under case law" to protect
authors from infringements of their rights of paternity, integrity and
misrepresentation.

In the UK the situation is different. Although moral rights were introduced
in the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, they are waivable, and they
require a formal declaration that the "author claims al rights" or similar
phrasing. The waivability is considered almost automatic in some areas
(script writing, for example), while a list of excluded categories is
considerable, including all writing for hire (journalism, "director's script
writer", etc.) and "publication in .. a newspaper, magazine or similar
periodical." However, this has never been applied to journal literature, and
so Iain is wrong when he says "Alas, moral rights in Britain under the
Copyright, Designs and Patents Act do not extend to individual articles" -
they do..

Chris

Chris Zielinski
STP AHPSR/EIP
World Health Organization
Avenue Appia, CH1211 Geneva
Switzerland
Tel: 004122-7914435 or mobile 0044797-1045354