Re: Request for journal/article/field statistics from Ulrichs and ISI

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 13:46:14 +0000

This Topic Thread begins at:
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/2972.html

> Yvette Diven of Ulrich's http://www.ulrichsweb.com/ulrichsweb/analysis/
> provided the following concerning the Ulrich's definition of "electronic"
>
> "In Ulrich's, the term "online" is used to denote "online full-text"
> or "online full content"... As used in Ulrich's, online does not
> necessarily mean online-only, although there are approximately
> 4,600 e-only publications in Ulrich's that are included in the
> total number of online publications. It should be noted that not all
> online periodicals in Ulrich's are academic/scholarly publications.
> Ulrich's also includes, for example, online consumer publications,
> newsletters, and web-based 'zines that fall outside the scope of
> academic and scholarly publishing (many of these are e-only)."

Most of the mainstream peer-reviewed journals are now hybrid,
with both a paper and an online version.

As a consequence, I think the category "Electronic [or Online] Journal" is
no longer an interesting or particularly informative one.

"Online-Only" may possibly still have some import (but what import?).
"Open-Access" ("Gold") Journal of course does have import, and many
(but not all!) Gold Journals are also Online-Only. http://www.doaj.org/
(Some Open-Access Journals, e.g., Cortex http://www.cortex-online.org/
are hybrid.)
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/3406.html

A more interesting new category of journals is one that
cuts across all of these: "Green" journals -- Toll-Access journals
that officially endorse author/institution self-archiving:
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Temp/self-archiving_files/Slide0021.gif
Romeo reports that 55% of the 7000+ journals they sampled are already
Green. SHERPA may soon have an update.
http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/ls/disresearch/romeo/Romeo%20Publisher%20Policies.htm

    "SHERPA will take over the Romeo Publisher Policy Table"
     http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/3100.html

    "The Green and Gold Roads to Open Access"
     http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/3147.html

    "The Green Road to Open Access: A Leveraged Transition"
     http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/3378.html

access to the peer-reviewed research literature online (1998-2004)
is available at the American Scientist Open Access Forum:
        To join the Forum:
        Post discussion to:
        Hypermail Archive:
    http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/index.html

Unified Dual Open-Access-Provision Policy:
            journal whenever one exists.
            http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/boaifaq.htm#journals
            http://www.eprints.org/self-faq/
    http://www.eprints.org/signup/sign.php