Re: Author Publication Charge Debate

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 03:17:57 +0000

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004, Suhail A. R. wrote:

> As far as embargoed access goes, the number of articles a researcher
> might need that have been published in the preceeding year are limited

Really? How limited?

Please see some of the earlier postings on how much papers are used when
they are only a (free) click away:

    "Re: How to compare research impact of toll- vs. open-access research"
     http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/3505.html

> and paying for these is certainly cheaper than paying author costs to
> "OA" journals.

Cheaper for whom? The user of N articles is one person, the author publishing
in an OA journal is another. (And A.R. Suhail has completely overlooked my
main point about the option of self-archiving for the author who either does not
have a suitable OA journal to publish in, or cannot afford to.)

> At the present time, embargoed access seems really better
> than author charged open access at 500-1500 dollars - how many embargoed
> articles can I buy?

You are comparing apples and oranges (users/institutions accessing the articles
of others versus authors/institutions paying to publish their own articles)
and omitting the author's other (free) option: self-archiving.

The question is not how many emargoed articles can I *buy* but how many
embargoed articles can I *use* (if access is toll-free). The answer is:
far, far more than you can even imagine. And this is what the open-access
movement is all about.
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Temp/self-archiving_files/Slide0025.gif

access to the peer-reviewed research literature online (1998-2004)
is available at the American Scientist Open Access Forum:
        To join the Forum:
        Post discussion to:
        Hypermail Archive:
    http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/index.html

Unified Dual Open-Access-Provision Policy:
            journal whenever one exists.
            http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/boaifaq.htm#journals
            http://www.eprints.org/self-faq/
    http://www.eprints.org/signup/sign.php