Re: Author Publication Charge Debate

From: Suhail A. R. <sd2_at_GMX.NET>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 05:08:39 -0800

Dr Subbiah says
"One can self archive both preprints and postprints. I
> suggest that Suhail visit the arXiv and spend a few
> minutes to know about one of the most popular
> centralised archives........Suhail may also visit CiteSeer as well as read
the
> papers of Steve Lawrence"

I visited both. The former is mainly for the mathematical sciences. Both
have a very user unfriendly interface and searches that are not comparable
to say for example PubMed. Furthermore, in the medical sciences, I wouldnt
want to self archive anything till it has been published and indexed on
Medline or Pubmed. There are many problems related to dissemination of
non-published research and archiving is not recognised for any purpose apart
from helping disseminate information, and that is never the primary intent
of researchers (lets face the facts). In the end, medical researchers at
least, will find it easier to email each other till some other facility
comes along.

Suhail