Re: The Green and Gold Roads to Open Access

From: Jan Velterop <jan_at_BIOMEDCENTRAL.COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 12:33:54 -0000

I fully agree with David Goodman that clarity of terminology is needed
(whether or not we can agree on 'standard' terminology).

Below an attempt to clarify some terms. It goes without saying that
constructive suggestions for further clarification or for better terms are
welcomed.

At BioMed Central we speak of two categories of articles:
-'Research articles' ('primary' articles, 'fact-oriented') and
-'Other articles' (which includes reviews, comments, and other
'opinion-oriented' articles as well as news and the like)

'Open Access'
This DOES apply to ALL the Research articles; it MAY apply to Other articles
-- if they have somehow been paid for, e.g. by sponsorship or a subvention.
Otherwise they are...

'Subscription-Paid'.
Much of the 'added-value' for these articles either comes from, or is made
possible, by the publisher, there is choice (no 'publish-or-perish pressure;
publishing comments or review articles is rarely a 'must'), and subscription
charges or sponsorship, or a combination of those, are sensible ways of
recovering the costs).

'Input-Paid'
We avoid the term 'author-paid', because that is rarely true, and it is
certainly not expected that authors pay from their own pocket. We speak of
'input-paid' (suggestions for a better term are always welcome) and we
regard...

'Article Processing Fees'
(NOT 'author-fees') as an integral part of the research expenditure, as
publishing the results is necessary and integral to a research project.

'Deposit'
is what we do with all the Open Access articles immediately, in several
trusted Open Access Repositories, such as PubMed Central (and INIST in
France, and Potsdam University in Germany). 'Other' articles are deposited
and 'opened' after two years.

'Preserve'
is what the Dutch Royal Library (Koninklijke Bibliotheek, KB) does for us.
They have committed to 'preserve' the content in case format changes should
be neccessary in the future. The KB archives and preserves material from
other publishers, such as Elsevier and Kluwer, as well, but in contrast to
that material, the BioMed Central articles and journals are not bound by any
restrictive contracts and freely available from the KB.

We host the material ourselves on the BioMed Central platform and, in
addition, the Repositories mentioned above function as mirrors.

Jan Velterop
BioMed Central