Re: UK Select Committee Inquiry into Scientific Publication

From: Frederick Friend <ucylfjf_at_ucl.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 22:40:49 +0100

Stevan does not allow for the way in which the questioning by the Members of
the Science and Technology Committee drove the course of the oral evidence
session. We were not invited to make an opening statement which would have
provided the kind of balanced overview of OA Stevan wishes we had given.

Both Peter Fox and I managed to mention the words "institutional
repositories" even though we were not asked about them, and I brought open
access (in general) into the conversation a couple of times when the
question did not require me to do so. I have also been sent a follow-up
question about self-archiving to which I will be making a written reply.

My impression is that the MPs are not ignoring self-archiving even if
their agenda is not as balanced as Stevan would wish, and - just to put
the record straight - I do give my full support to self-archiving.

Fred Friend

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Frederick J. Friend
OSI Open Access Advocate
JISC Consultant
Honorary Director Scholarly Communication UCL
E-mail ucylfjf_at_ucl.ac.uk
Mail address: The Chimes, Cryers Hill Road,
High Wycombe, England HP15 6JS
Telephone +44 1494 563168 or +44 7747 627738 (mobile)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx