Re: UK Select Committee Inquiry into Scientific Publication

From: David Goodman <David.Goodman_at_liu.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 13:08:44 -0400

Perhaps the best reason that we should work at both goals is that there
are two viewpoints, both with reasonable arguments, and it is most
unlikely that either party will convince the other. What we should
avoid is a situation where, seeing us divided, the forces that oppose
OA altogether will block any government funding.

I dislike having to accept compromises of this sort as much as anyone,
but it's better than a stalemate, let alone a total loss. And, in
my faculty role, if we go both routes we'll have an experiment. In
my librarian role, if the UK does this, the experience gained will be
useful to other countries.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor,
Long Island University, Brookville, NY