Re: Author Publication Charge Debate

From: Thomas Walker <tjw_at_ufl.edu>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 14:17:25 +0100

At 10:09 PM 7/1/2004 +0100, David Goodman wrote:

>I cannot immediately think of a single term for
>author/university/sponsor/etc. , but perhaps someone else will.
>
>And, to save Steven the trouble, I will add that alternative good
>means of OA exists, which are surely familiar to anyone reading
>this listserv.

"author/sponsor pays" is the best I've come up with.

And in response to comment that it is really always the author that must
decide whether to use funds that might otherwise be used elsewhere,
in the part of the University of Florida where I work, the Experiment
Station administration supports publication of research results by paying
publication costs (including reprints, page charges, and OA fees). The
only way an author/researcher can access those funds is to publish and have
to pay for doing so!

Thomas J. Walker
Department of Entomology & Nematology
PO Box 110620 (or Natural Area Drive)
University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611-0620
E-mail: tjw_at_ufl.edu (or tjwalker_at_ifas.ufl.edu)
FAX: (352)392-0190
Web: http://csssrvr.entnem.ufl.edu/~walker/