Re: Green, Gold, Elsevier, Springer

From: David Goodman <David.Goodman_at_liu.edu>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 12:26:35 +0100

Dear Andy,

as I read it, the elaborate language provided by Springer carefully avoids
the exact situation of interest: the ability to post a version whose text
and illustrations have been corrected to be the same as the published
version, but the article is not identical: i.e., does not have the same
layout, etc. Furthermore, the pdfs discussed are Springer-provided pdfs;
I see nothing that discusses the use of a pdf the author prepares himself
from the final printed version using a scanner and Acrobat: these too
will not really be identical to the ones on the Springer server because
their quality will typically be much lower. One publishes with Springer
in the first place in part because of the superb quality of their print
and electronic output.

The publisher could have prepared a statement resolving these ambiguous
statements, and apparently has chosen to leave them ambiguous. I
therefore think that any author could, in good faith, choose any of these
methods that have not been specifically prohibited. There is a purpose in
deliberately ambiguous language in contracts, which is when neither party
wants to establish a firm precedent that might prove not to their liking.

Surely we all hope that as Springer and other publishers gain confidence
with "green" OA, they will relax their requirements and specifically
permit posting of the final pdfs. There is certainly an example to follow,
because they all once prohibited interlibrary load from electronic
versions, and now almost all do. In the intermediate period, their
language was often ambiguous, and intelligent librarians interpreted it
in accordance with their patrons' best interest.

We would, imho, be well advised to make vigorous use of the rights our
campaign has won.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University