Re: Priorities: OA Content Provision vs. OA Content Preservation

From: Brian Simboli <brs4_at_Lehigh.EDU>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 15:00:12 +0100

Stevan,

A few points in response. I'm a busy librarian and don't have the luxury
of dwelling much on these debates, but here are some considerations.
They are an invitation for others to pitch in and clarify or correct
anything.
1.
It is hardly the case that I wish to reduce preservation to access. My
view is that preservation is a necessary condition for long-term, stable
access, access that is not (as in the green approach) beholden to the
contingent and unreliable "good graces" of the big commercials.
2.
You take "research impact" considerations quite seriously, as anyone
should. However, my argument is that research impact is enhanced, over
the long haul, by a stable infrastructure, not one (again) whose very
existence depends on the good graces of big commercials. Why invest so
much money in a strategy that relies on the "good graces" of
commercials, whose unreliability we already have a strong evidential
base for?
3.
You misunderstand the "librarian instinct". I, for one, do not think
that 100 per cent gold will necessarily resolve all problems, nor has
anything I've said suggested that I do. I'd like to see a combination of
low-cost gold and low-cost toll-access. Commercial gold is not going to
cut it; commercial gold, in the long run, is just going to replicate the
unjust pricing practices already prevalent in commercial publishing. So
let us strive for academic gold, and academic (low-cost) toll-access,
and go from there.
4.
You speak of the needs of researchers. Researchers are interested in
access, as well as impact. Both research impact and access are
intertwined with affordability and preservation.

Pending 100 % green access, which in my judgment will never occur, for
reasons I have already elaborated in other venues, the issues of access
will remain intertwined with the issue of affordability (a point which I
believe has already been explored on the listservs). That is, high
journal costs have an opportunity cost: diminished immediate access to
other literature. Which may well translate into diminished research
impact, though it's not clear by how much.

So it is reasonable to consider that access, research impact,
affordability, preservation are all intertwined. My view is that
academic gold, and academic low-cost toll access, in any case holds out
far greater promise of meeting the long term needs of researchers for
enhancing research impact as well as access. We share the same goal, but
I think that the strategy you suggest actually does not serve the
long-term interests of researchers in meeting this goal. On the other
hand, a stable system that attends to preservation and affordability
issues does imho hold out that promise.
5.
"OA promotion can be done with any available staff time rather than with
acquisitions budgets". Who pays for that "available" staff time? When it
exists, isn't it better spent developing ejournal alternative solutions?
6. "Researchers are already sluggish enough about OA". Sufficient
/evidence/ that they cannot be relied upon.
7. "Brian is not only coupling the problems of preservation and OA (when
they are in fact different problems) but he is conflating them,
suggesting that what researchers really lack, and need is permanence,
not OA". OA is related to preservation: no preservation, no stable and
abiding OA. See also (1) above.
8. "Nor is it a matter of bucks: It's a matter of policy". Well, bucks
(staff time, infrastructure) are a necessary condition for implementing
policy.

May I suggest that you hear out the concerns of librarians, who daily
with researchers at their point of need, and who are, incidentally or
not so incidentally, the ones who have to pick up the pieces when the
marketing strategy du jour of big commercials hits the fan.

Brian Simboli