Re: Who Needs Open Access, and Why?

From: Alma Swan <a.swan_at_talk21.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 17:20:32 +0100

At a meeting last week it was stated that there is no evidence that
researchers WANT open access. I'm not sure anyone has actually asked them
this, formally, so I am about to carry out an exercise to gather data on the
topic. I would like to hear from librarians, open archive administrators and
researchers themselves on this issue.

In her recent posting to this forum, Paula Callan produced an example of the
reactions of a researcher in her institution, including some specific
statistics on the usage of his work. This is the sort of information I need
- attributable evidence (with empirical data included if it exists) for or
against the notion that researchers WANT open access. Does anyone else have
similar evidence one way or the other, please?

Please - no humble opinions, no unsubstantiated impressions, no speculative
thoughts. I need data that will stand up to scrutiny. I am happy to receive
them.

Final word: I have plenty of statistics about researchers not being AWARE of
open access. That is not the same as not WANTING it and I am not interested
in uninformed researchers' opinions. What I am after are data that indicate
whether, once aware of the issues, researchers do or do not want open access
- as authors AND readers.

Alma P Swan
Key Perspectives Ltd
Truro, UK
aswan_at_keyperspectives.co.uk

Added by Moderator:

Prior Amsci Topic Thread:
    "Who Needs Open Access, and Why?"
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/3613.html

    Internet Librarian International 2004. London. 11 October, 2004.
    http://www.internet-librarian.com/Monday.shtml#OpenAccess

Discussion Dialup Video:
http://www.streamingmedia.com/internetlibrarian/inetlib3_56.asx
Discussion Broadband Video: