Re: Self-Archiving vs. Self-Publishing FAQ

From: Rick Anderson <rickand_at_UNR.EDU>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 22:54:15 -0800

> (1) I guess that would mean that self-archiving one's already published
> journal article is "publishing a published article."

It depends. If you self-archive the article on your hard disk, then no, you're not publishing it -- you're just archiving it. On the other hand, if you self-archive it in an OA archive, then yes -- you're re-publishing it. In the former case, you're putting the article away in storage. In the latter case, you're distributing it (again) to the public.

> (2) Try listing unpublished papers as "published articles" on your CV
> on the strength of having posted them on the Web (and let us know how
> that's received)...

Publishing an article myself, on a Web site, is almost certainly not going to help me get tenure. But then, the music reviews I write each week for the All-Music Guide won't help me get tenure, either (which is why I leave them off my CV). Does that mean they haven't been published?

Look, obviously we're proceeding from a different set of definitions here. My point is simply that the word "publish" has a real-world definition that is far different from the artificially narrow one created by the OA establishment. If using the Berlin Declaration definition helps you do your work, fine. But don't yell at (or condescend to) the rest of the world when it insists on using the real-world definition.

---
Rick Anderson
Dir. of Resource Acquisition
Univ. of Nevada, Reno Libraries