Re: Priorities: OA Content Provision vs. OA Content Preservation

From: Michael Fraser <mike.fraser_at_computing-services.oxford.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 21:28:15 +0000

  [Moderator's note: re-directed from topic thread:
  Re: Pascal's Wager and Open Access (OA)]

------------------------

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004, Heather Morrison wrote:

> For example, if there is only one copy of an article (or a very few, all
> under the control of one person or organization), then the censor's work is
> easy. If, on the other hand, there are many copies -under the control of
> different persons or organizations - a situation which obviously a great
> deal easier with open access, obviously - then we will all have much more
> secure access.
>
> What this means in practice is that, even with central repositories, it is
> important to also pursue institutional repositories. We should also be
> copying entire collections (this shouldn't be that difficult - the process
> can be entirely automated.

Presumably, something like LOCKSS applies equally to open access materials
as it does to other forms (and preferably across national boundaries):

"LOCKSS (for "Lots of Copies Keep Stuff Safe") is open source software
that provides librarians with an easy and inexpensive way to collect,
store, preserve, and provide access to their own, local copy of authorized
content they purchase. Running on standard desktop hardware and requiring
almost no technical administration, LOCKSS converts a personal computer
into a digital preservation appliance, creating low-cost, persistent,
accessible copies of e-journal content as it is published. Since pages in
these appliances are never flushed, the local community's access to that
content is safeguarded. Accuracy and completeness of LOCKSS appliances is
assured through a robust and secure, peer-to-peer polling and reputation
system."
(http://lockss.stanford.edu/about/about.htm)

It is increasingly possible to make a distinction between a preferred
preservation repository (e.g. some form of institutional repository) and a
preferred dissemination repository (e.g. a subject-based repository).

Michael

---
Dr Michael Fraser
Co-ordinator, Research Technologies Service & Head of Humbul
Oxford University Computing Services
13 Banbury Road
Oxford OX2 6NN
Tel: 01865 283 343