Re: Open-Access Eprint Archive Registry

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 13:57:43 +0000

Bill Hubbard wrote:

> A new service is starting development to support the rapidly emerging
> movement towards Open Access to research information. The new service,
> called DOAR - the Directory of Open Access Repositories - will categorise
> and list the wide variety of Open Access research archives that have grown
> up around the world.
> http://www.opendoar.org

A Directory of Open Access Repositories is certainly a good idea --
except that one already exists since February 2004 -- one that not only
lists repositories (279 registered to date) but tracks the growth in
both their numbers and the size of the contents of each across time:

    Institutional Archives Registry
    http://archives.eprints.org/eprints.php?action=browse
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/3507.html
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/3715.html
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/4301.html

I posted this a month before that Registry was launched, in January
2004, along with an offer to collaborate, to each of the 3 other services
involved:

   DOAJ, OAIster and Romeo should chart growth, as EPrints does
   http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/3495.html

OAIster indexes about 126 more repositories (total 405)
http://oaister.umdl.umich.edu/o/oaister/
The OAI Registry at UIUC lists 646 repositories.
http://gita.grainger.uiuc.edu/registry/

Is it really best for OA progress to keep independently re-inventing the wheel,
rather than building on what we already have?

Stevan Harnad