Re: What Provosts Need to Mandate

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 11:50:22 +0100

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005, Subbiah Arunachalam wrote:

> Dear Stevan:
>
> Here is a query from a CSIR librarian (at National Institute of
> Oceanography, Goa). Why is it that not all entries in OAIster
> have full text? he asks.

Dear Arun,

The answer is very simple:

Because only 15% of OA's target content (the annual 2.5 million full-text
research articles published in the world's 24,000 journals) is as yet
being self-archived, worldwide.

    http://citebase.eprints.org/isi_study/
    http://www.crsc.uqam.ca/lab/chawki/ch.htm

That is OA's problem. That is why we do not yet have 100% OA. And that
is why so much of OAIster

    http://oaister.umdl.umich.edu/o/oaister/

and even of most institutional "OA" repository content

    http://archives.eprints.org/eprints.php?action=browse

is currently just *metadata,* not full-text.

And the solution is also 100% clear:

As and when the institutions that produce the 2.5 million annual research
articles in the 24,000 journals (and the research-funders that fund it)
*mandate* that the articles they produce must be self-archived, we will
have 100% OA.

The publishers are not to blame. 92% of them have already given their
green light to self-archiving. They cannot be expected to perform the
authors' keystrokes for them!

    http://romeo.eprints.org/stats.php

In a sense the researchers are to blame, because 85% of them do not yet
self-archive all their work. But the latest JISC author survey (Swan &
Brown 2005)

    Swan, Alma and Brown, Sheridan (2005) Open access self-archiving: An
    author study. Technical Report, Joint Information Systems Committee
    (JISC), UK FE and HE funding councils (not yet published). Preprint:
    http://cogprints.org/4385/

indicates as clearly as one can indicate to those who have eyes to see
and ears to hear that the researchers themselves *state explicitly*
that they are quite busy and that -- just as they *publish* only because
of the publish-or-perish carrot/stick incentives their institutions and
funders have in place -- they will only self-archive if and when their
institutions and funders *require* them to do self-archive.

But if and when their institutions and funders do require them to do so, 81%
(of the over 1300 sampled researchers worldwide, across all disciplines)
respond that they *will* self-archive, and self-srchive *willingly*
(14% will self-archive reluctantly, and 5% respond that they will not comply).

    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Temp/alma-amst.ppt

The actual results for the only two institutions worldwide that have so
far actually implemented such a self-archiving mandate -- (1) the Southampton
University Department of Electronics and Computer Science and (2) CERN --
have borne this out completely. Their self-archiving rates for their current
annual research output are now both over 90%:

http://archives.eprints.org/eprints.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Feprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk%2F
http://archives.eprints.org/eprints.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fcdsweb.cern.ch%2F

So there is your answer, Arun! The rest is just about when institutions and
funders will go ahead and do the obvious, in order to reach the optimal
and inevitable (100% OA).

The signs are positive (University of Bielefeld is the lastest to announce
a clear, definitive self-archiving policy),

    http://www.eprints.org/signup/fulllist.php

but the rate of institutional OA self-archiving policy adoption is
still awaiting its definitive growth-spurt. Let us hope that that will
come with the long-awaited and imminent announcement of the RCUK policy
recommendation:

    "Will the RCUK support OA?"
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/4464.html

if that indeed takes the form recommended by the UK Science and Technology
Select Committee and the Berlin Declaration:

    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Temp/UKSTC.htm
    http://www.eprints.org/berlin3/outcomes.html

Best wishes,

Stevan