Re: Future UK RAEs to be Metrics-Based

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 12:43:25 +0100

Both of Yorick's witty tongue-in-cheek suggestions are more apt
than you might think (though I am sure Yorick is quite aware of it):

(1) There's no need to keep the metric criteria secret, because
deliberate abusers of them (spurious, endogamous citation patterns,
self-inflated downloads) are all detectable in an open-access corpus,
and can be named-and-shamed -- indeed, the risk of name-shame is likely
to offset the temptation to abuse in most cases pre-emptively.

(2) Co-text analysis (including Tom Landauer's latent sematic analysis)
is among the very natural first choices to try out in devising new
metrics. And, as usual, the metric equation must have multiple components
precisely so that it can calibrate, weight other components, to control
for and offset nonse effects (like random buzz-word salad) as well as
deliberate abuse and deviations.

The Open Access Digital Database is optimal and inevitable for research;
we can delay it, we can mock it, we can fear it, but sooner or later we
will face it, and use it, and work out ways to control and correct its
imperfections, just as we will do with viruses and spam. (I can already
hear the ironic rebuttals this will now elicit! -- but it's true, it's
likely to be a constant cycle of protective upgrades to counter upgrades
in abuse; there will be invasions that are temporarily successful,
but then driven out by a combination of collective ingenuity and the
all-important openness of the whole medium. At least that is the way
we have to play it, if we are not to be Luddites renouncing the obvious
good because of the equally obvious potential for bad.)

Stevan