Re: Self-Archiving Impact Advantage: Quality Advantage or Quality Bias?

From: Henk F. Moed <Moed_at_cwts.leidenuniv.nl>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 09:33:22 -0500

    [ Your display is set for the "iso-8859-1" character set. ]

This is submitted to Sigmetrics at the request of Henk Moed, whose email
account is changed so he cannot post to Sigmetrics. (I will reply
shortly.) -- Stevan Harnad

Begin forwarded message:

       Text to be submitted to Sigmetrics

Dear Stevan,

Below follow some replies to your comments on my preprint ^ÑThe
effect of 'Open Access' upon citation impact: An analysis of
ArXiv's Condensed Matter Section^Ò, available at
http://arxiv.org/abs/cs.DL/0611060.

Henk F. Moed
Centre for Science and Technology Studies
Leiden University, The Netherlands
Moed_at_cwts.leidenuniv.nl

1. Early view effect

In my case study on 6 journals in the field of condensed matter
physics, I concluded that the observed differences between the
citation age distributions of deposited and non-deposited ArXiv
papers can to a large extent ^Ö though not fully ^Ö be explained by
the publication delay of about six months of non-deposited articles
compared to papers deposited in ArXiv. This outcome provides
evidence for an early view effect upon citation impact rates, and
consequently upon ArXiv citation impact differentials (CID, my
term) or Arxiv Advantage (AA, your term)..

You wrote: ^ÓThe basic question is this: Once the AA has been
adjusted for the "head-start" component of the EA (by comparing
articles of equal age -the age of Arxived articles being based on
the date of deposit of the preprint rather than the date of
publication of the postprint), how big is that adjusted AA, at each
article age? For that is the AA without any head-start. Kurtz never
thought the EA component was merely a head start, however, for the
AA persists and keeps growing, and is present in cumulative
citation counts for articles at every age since Arxiving began^Ô.

Figure 2 in the interesting paper by Kurtz et al. (IPM, v. 41, p.
1395-1402, 2005) does indeed show an increase in the very short
term average citation impact (my terminology; citations were
counted during the first 5 months after publication date) of papers
as a function of their publication date as from 1996. My
interpretation of this figure is that it clearly shows that the
principal component of the early view effect is the head-start: it
reveals that the share of astronomy papers deposited in ArXiv (and
other preprint servers) increased over time. More and more papers
became available at the date of their submission to a journal,
rather than on their formal publication date. I therefore conclude
that their findings for astronomy are fully consistent with my
outcomes for journals in the field of condensed matter physics.

2. Quality bias

You wrote: ^ÓThe fact that highly-cited articles (Kurtz) and
articles by highly-cited authors (Moed) are more likely to be
Arxived certainly does not settle the question of cause and effect:
It is just as likely that better articles benefit more from
Arxiving (QA) as that better authors/articles tend to
Arxive/be-Arxived more (QB)^Ô

I am fully aware that in this research context one cannot assess
whether authors publish their better papers in the ArXiv merely on
the basis of comparing citation rates of archived and non-archived
papers, and I mention this in my paper. Citation rates may be
influenced both by the ^Ñquality^Ò of the papers and by the access
modality (deposited versus non-deposited). This is why I estimated
author prominence on the basis of the citation impact of their
non-archived articles only. But even then I found evidence that
prominent, influential authors (in the above sense) are
overrepresented in papers deposited in ArXiv.

But I did more that that. I calculated Arxiv Citation Impact
Differentials (CID, my term, or ArXiv Advantage, AA, your term) at
the level of individual authors. Next, I calculated the median CID
over authors publishing in a journal. How then do you explain my
empirical finding that for some authors the citation impact
differential (CID) or ArXiv Advantage is positive, for others it is
negative, while the median CID over authors does not significantly
differ from zero (according to a Sign test) for all journals
studied in detail except Physical Review B, for which it is only 5
per cent? If there is a genuine ^ÑOA advantage^Ò at stake, why then
does it for instance not lead to a significantly positive median
CID over authors? Therefore, my conclusion is that, controlling for
quality bias and early view effect, in the sample of 6 journals
analysed in detail in my study, there is no sign of a general
^Ñopen access advantage^Ò of papers deposited in ArXiv^Òs Condensed
Matter Section.

3. Productive versus less productive authors

My analysis of differences in Citation Impact differentials between
productive and less productive authors may seem ^Óa little
complicated^Ô. My point is that if one selects from a set of papers
deposited in ArXiv a paper authored by a junior (or less
productive) scientist, the probability that this paper is
co-authored by a senior (or more productive) author is higher than
it is for a paper authored by a junior scientists but not deposited
in ArXiv. Next, I found that papers co-authored by both productive
and less productive authors tend to have a higher citation impact
than articles authored solely by less productive authors,
regardless of whether these papers were deposited in ArXiv or not.
These outcomes lead me to the conclusion is that the observed
higher CID for less productive authors compared to that of
productive authors can be interpreted as a quality bias.

4. General comments

In the citation analysis by  Kurtz et al.  (2005), both the
citation and target universe contain a set of 7 core journals in
astronomy. They explain their finding of no apparent OA effect in
his study of these journals by postulating that ^Óessentially all
astronomers have access to the core journals through existing
channels^Ô. In my study the target set consists of a limited number
of core journals in condensed matter physics, but the citation
universe is as large as the total Web of Science database,
including also a number of more peripherical journals in the field.
Therefore, my result is stronger than that obtained by Kurtz at
al.: even in this much wider citation universe, I do not find
evidence for an OA advantage effect.

I realize that my study is a case study, examining in detail 6
journals in one subfield. I fully agree with your warning that one
should be cautious in generalizing conclusions from case studies,
and that results for other fields may be different. But it is
certainly not an unimportant case. It relates to a subfield in
physics, a discipline that your pioneering and stimulating work
(Harnad and Brody, D-Lib Mag., June 2004) has analysed as well at a
more aggregate level. I hope that more case studies will be carried
out in the near future, applying the methodologies I proposed in my
paper.