Re: Central versus institutional self-archiving

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 15:36:47 +0000

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006, Muriel Foulonneau wrote:

> Are there statistics supporting a current decrease in number of deposits
> on ArXiv or CogPrints?

(1) Not yet, because IR deposits have not yet been mandated.

(2) Spontaneous (unmandated) self-archiving is on the rise, but it is
too slow.

(3) Once the self-archiving mandates take effect, their influence will
begin to be felt.

(One obstacle is that some of the self-archiving mandates -- notably
those in biomedicine -- are foolishly requiring direct deposit in
PubMed Central, rather than the natural, optimal and universal solution
of requiring direct deposit in the author's own IR, with CRs like
PubMed Central then harvesting therefrom. A little more reflection and
feedback from actual experience will straighten this out, but it's a
pity that some are rushing unthinkingly into suboptimal, non-scaleable
solutions.)

    Optimizing OA Self-Archiving Mandates: What? Where? When? Why? How?
    http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/136-guid.html

(These optimality considerations do not apply to a centralized country
like France, if it can mandate the deposit of all French research output
in HAL: HAL would then be like one big national mega-institutional
repository, providing individual institutional "views" on its subsets,
much like individual IRs.)

    Forthcoming OA Developments in France (Jun 2006)
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/subject.html#5434

    France's HAL, OAI interoperability, and Central vs Institutional
    Repositories (Oct 2006)
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/subject.html#5679

    Swan, A., Needham, P., Probets, S., Muir, A., Oppenheim, C., O?Brien,
    A., Hardy, R., Rowland, F. and Brown, S. (2005) Developing a model
    for e-prints and open access journal content in UK further and higher
    education. Learned Publishing 18(1) pp. 25-40.
    http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/11000/

Stevan Harnad