Re: Central versus institutional self-archiving

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 06:10:54 -0400

I may be mistaken, but it seems to me that there is something very
fundamentally wrong with the hypothetical cost comparison that Andy
Powell is contemplating (below): It is rather like asking whether it
would be cheaper to offload all storage and auditing of a
corporation's assets onto a global auditing entity rather than storing
and auditing them locally: Especially in the online age, when all we
are talking about is bits, it seems odd to be thinking in this way.

Brewster Kahle may have the disk space, but if his is to become the
global database, then why should individuals have local websites at
all? They could all set up shop in the Global Wayback Machine -- or,
for that matter, store directly in Google, saving it the trouble of
having to harvest!

Apart from going directly against the spirit and success of
distributed networking in the online digital era, it seems to me that
such global centralism would even carry risks. Not to mention that
with the plummeting cost and skyrocketing power of local computation
and disk storage capacity, globalism of anything but the most virtual
(i.e., harvested) kind seems to be a distinct anachronism today, both
financially and functionally: We don't need one real global digital
collection in the sky. A harvested, virtual one (or many) is enough.

I too have a hypothesis: I think Andy is basically still thinking of
IRs and CRs as being essentially for the sake of archiving and
preservation.

They are not! OA IRs are for immediate and ongoing online access-
provision. And their persistent emptiness is a problem of motivation,
not money. The interests and incentives are all there -- research
usage and impact -- and they are all local (and competitive). Those
interests and incentives simply need to be mobilized, at long last,
through the adoption of a sensible institutional policy that
explicitly capitalizes upon and caters for them.

Universal (local) university self-archiving mandates, tied to research
performance review, are that sensible policy. Brewster Kahle's global
Internet Archive (invaluable as it is for digital preservation) has
absolutely nothing to do with it.

Stevan Harnad