New Beta version of the Ranking Web of World Repositories

From: Isidro F. Aguillo <isidro_at_cindoc.csic.es>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 15:17:43 +0200

We have taken into account some of the suggestions regarding the Ranking Web
of World Repositories for the new Beta 2 version. We have changed the domain
that it is now autonomous from the Universities Ranking one:

http://repositories.webometrics.info/

This will allow to be more flexible in the future and to enlarge and
diversify the coverage. Now we are ranking the Top 300 instead the first 200
as in the previous edition. New repositories have been added, like
PubMedCentral that was missed and others have been deleted because they are
not focused on research papers.

The most important changes are related to ranking methodology: For the Rich
files ranking we are considering only Adobe Acrobat pdf files, as other
formats numbers were very low for ranking purposes. For the same reason,
only data extracted from Google and Yahoo were considered. Regarding Scholar
ranking, it is now build from the mean between the total number of items and
those published between 2001 and 2008 to increase the weight of the
"freshness".

Finally we are suggesting the use of Google Analytics as common minimum
standards for obtaining usage data, clearly the weakest point of our current
approach.

Comments are welcomed as usual,

--
Isidro F. Aguillo