Re: Captured product vs. service

From: Michael Eisen <mbeisen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 19:31:39 -0800

Yes - I agree with Paul. There's very little lost relative to the public domain
by going with the CCby license - it's what we chose long ago to use at PLoS.

But it's worth pointing out that the currency of non-commercial intellectual
work is citation, which is very different from the attribution protected by the
CCby license. Citation is an academic tradition, and the expectation that one
cites works they use applies to any published work, no matter the terms under
which it was distributed. For example, all works of US government employees have
been in the public domain for many decades. But - by tradition if not by law -
one still has to cite them when they are used.

The CCby license deals with something very different, requiring that, when the
work is reproduced, the original citation must be maintained in the copy. Since
normal academic referencing does not usually involve replication of the work,
this term is moot.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not arguing against the use of the CCby license - this
is something I strongly advocate. But this is because I see the value in
maintaining attribution in a future world where papers are widely replicated,
repackaged, etc... - not because it has any real impact on the current academic
citation system.