Consciousness

From: Fletcher, Emma (ejf195@soton.ac.uk)
Date: Sun May 26 1996 - 20:44:39 BST

Hi Stevan,

If "cognition is the unconscious structures and processes underlying your
capacities-- what you can do and what you can feel" and consciousness is "what
you experience or feel", did the evolution of cognition lead to consciousness?
Could consciousness evolve separately? How could an explanation be given for the
choice of the "Blind Watch-maker"? If two organisms are at the same stage on the
evolutionary scale, and one is conscious and one is not, yet they both are
equally matched in rates of survival and reproduction there's no reason to
assume that the conscious organism should succeed, is there?

I'd be glad if you could sort this one out for me, when you have time.

Thanks, Emma