Re: Monty Hall

From: Georghiu, Christos (cg196@soton.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Feb 20 1997 - 12:28:05 GMT

Just because there are two doors (one with a prize behind it and one
without), doesn't mean a 50% chance of winning, the door you switch to
has a greater chance of having the prize behind it BECAUSE IF THE PRIZE
WAS UNDER IT OR THE OTHER DOOR NOT ORIGINALLY PICKED then you now know
it's undr that one, since you've been shown the other's empty. This is
not too difficult a concept to grasp if you just go through all the
possible (18) combinations of things that can occur as far as which
door is picked, where the prize is and whether the contestant sticks or
switches, however, I've found it takes about 2 hours (literally) to
explain this and I have no intensions of writting reams on the subject
(sorry, I spent ALL DAY yesterday discussing this).