Re: ALPSP statement on BOAI

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_cogprints.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 00:01:25 +0100

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, David Goodman wrote:

> Although I agree these are trivial matters, it is just such matters that
> may well affect the success of initiatives such as BOAI. The publication
> of scientific articles is interwoven with the pattern of academic
> affairs in general.

I regret to have to keep disagreeing with my comrade-at-arms, David
Goodman, but in the interests of our joint goal -- which it is neither
he nor I who are holding us all back from -- I have to reiterate that
not only are these matters trivial, but they are obstacles. They are
obstacles because many people don't see them as trivial, and assign them
all kinds of far-fetched causal roles, with the result that instead of
doing, or helping to do, the simple, obvious things that need to be done
in order to usher in the open-access era, those who do not discern
what is trivial and what is significant, what is an obstacle and what is
merely a mirage, remain part of the problem instead of the solution.

Be it ever so interwoven in people's minds, open access to the peer
reviewed literature, and what must be done to bring it about, has
NOTHING to do with evaluation/assessment procedures -- apart from the
fact that those procedures will continue to rely on the peer reviewed
literature even after it is open-access.

To give or feed the impression that there is some contingency between
university evaluation policies and the open access initiative is
simply incorrect, and I have stated the reasons why. If David is under
the impression that this reasoning is itself incorrect, he needs to
reply specifically how and why. It will not do to simply say that
publication and academic affairs are "interwoven." Well, yes; but ours
is to sort out which aspects of the interweaving, if any, are causally
relevant to open access. I have argued that David's candidate, namely
academic evaluation policy, is not, and for the reasons I have stated.

David, along with many others, has a hypothesis that this is incorrect,
that there is still a complex contingency there, and that perhaps it is
academic evaluation practices that have to change or be changed, somehow,
before we can have open access.

I think this is completely wrong, and I have said why. It is for David
to reply and say why not, if he has further information to add.

> Stevan, under the facade of maintaining an open position on these, you
> are imposing your own particular desired pattern. Follow your own
> advice, and concentrate on getting the system working, to be refined as
> opportunity permits. Let's all of us not bother the list with more of
> this.

I am most definitely endeavoring to follow my own advice, to
concentrate on doing whatever is needed to hasten and facilitate open
access to the peer-reviewed literature. It is for that reason that I
criticized your suggestion that "excessively rigid tenure
requirements... [e.g.] that the publications be in formal conventional
journals, sometimes even requiring that they be in print format... and
other administrative interference" have anything whatsoever to do with
open-access, or the way to reach it -- other than as yet another garden
path to take in place of the one that leads to open access.

The topic remains open; I am not invoking or even implying cloture. I am
simply listing reasons why I think you are giving very wrong advice here.

Stevan Harnad