Re: ALPSP statement on BOAI/strategic considerations

From: David Goodman <dgoodman_at_PRINCETON.EDU>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 17:50:49 -0400

Yes, Stevan, these matters are, as you say, obstacles. Of course not
because they would actually interfere with BOAI, or with almost any
other system of publication, or that BOAI and other systems would
interfere with them. You have given fully convincing examples of how
they could be handled.
I am not as sure as you are about what will prove to be the best
arrangement, but these factors are in reality irrelevant.

The problem is that, just as you say, many people don't regard them as
trivial. There are therefore two parallel courses of action needed, and
you only accept one of them. Obviously, the key one is to continue the
positive development of the archives. The other course, the one it
seems you do not accept, is to counter the arguments of those who do not
yet understand.

There are significant forces working against us. There is first of all
the economic strength of the publishing industry--now increasingly
linked with the much greater strength of the media industry, and the
perversions of copyright that they promote. Another is the extraordinary
resistance to change of most academic and related institutions. Most
directly important is the resistance by many senior faculty, whose
typical argument is that things work well enough for me: I can get my
articles published where I want, and someone always gets me any article
I might need. I and undoubtedly you consider this position antisocial,
but it's there, and the people holding it are in policy-making
positions.

Yes, we can ignore all this and just go ahead as we can, ignoring the
opposing forces because we are sure that the logic of our position will
overwhelm them. I am not that much of an optimist: we will overcome
them, but by talking to them as well as to ourselves.

I do not ask you personally to do this. Obviously what you want to work
on is developing the new system, and that's a very good thing for all of
us. But if some of us want to contend directly with the other side in
coordination with your efforts, you should at least not discourage us.
Ignore us if you like, but I do not think you should call us completely
wrong. There are people who are completely wrong about these matters,
but they should not be confused with friends with a different style of
work.

--
David Goodman
Research Librarian and