pre- and post-prints copyright

From: Picciotto, Sol <s.picciotto_at_LANCASTER.AC.UK>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 11:47:23 +0100

Whether the open-archiving of either the pre-print or a post-print infringes
depends on what rights the author transfers to the publisher on acceptance. It
is important that academics should not sign transfers that prohibit them from
posting their work in open archives. This is allowed, for example, by (a
version of) the model assignment form issued by the ALPSP:
http://www.alpsp.org/grantli.pdf

although I recommend modifications to make it more explicit.

Many publishers now accept that authors can retain this right, perhaps on
condition of including a link to the journal where it is published.

Sol

Sol Picciotto
Lancaster University Law School
Lancaster University