Yahoo and Open Access

From: Sumir Meghani <sumir_at_yahoo-inc.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 00:55:31 +0000

Hi Stevan,

I just tried to post a message to the list. I have closely been following
your work over the past several months and find it fascinating. I'd love to
hear your thoughts on how Yahoo! can potentially help in encouraging
open-access.

I work in the Yahoo! Search group and one of our most important principles
is comprehensiveness, ensuring that our search indices are as deep and
rich as possible.

On Tuesday, we announced a major new program to work with both commercial
and non-commercial content providers. Especially for the latter, we feel
that it is increasingly important to ensure that users get access to the
vast content in the public domain. We announced partnerships with the
Library of Congress, NPR, the National Science Digital Library, and six
other high-quality content providers in the not-for-profit space.

We are also interested in the open-access movement and learning about ways
that we can remove barriers to content and knowledge on the Web. If there
are several major sources of self-archived journal collections in the "deep
Web", we might be interested in making sure that content is adequately
represented in our search indices.

Here is a press release of our announcement:
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/040302/25391_1.html

I would love to hear feedback from each of you and learn more about the
open-access movement.

Best,

Sumir Meghani
Manager, Business Development