Re: Request for permission

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 01:02:55 +0000

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004, Hamaker, Chuck wrote:

> I'd like to use this post as a handout on e-journals for a session of a
> statewide conference for faculty from the University of North Carolina
> systems. Will you grant that permission?

Chuck,

All materials on the American Scientist Open Access Forum (and in all
Open Access Eprint Archives) are Open Access. That means (quoting from
the BOAI definition of OA):

    By "open access" to this literature, we mean its free availability
    on the public internet, permitting any users to read, download,
    copy, distribute, print, search, or link to the full texts of these
    articles, crawl them for indexing, pass them as data to software,
    or use them for any other lawful purpose, without financial, legal,
    or technical barriers other than those inseparable from gaining
    access to the internet itself. The only constraint on reproduction
    and distribution [is] to give authors control over the integrity of
    their work and the right to be properly acknowledged and cited.

In other words, thanks for asking permission, but you didn't really need
to ask!

access to the peer-reviewed research literature online (1998-2004)
is available at the American Scientist Open Access Forum:
        To join the Forum:
        Post discussion to:
        Hypermail Archive:
    http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/index.html

Unified Dual Open-Access-Provision Policy:
            journal whenever one exists.
            http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/boaifaq.htm#journals
            http://www.eprints.org/self-faq/
    http://www.eprints.org/signup/sign.php