Re: Question 15 Challenged

From: Harnad, Stevan (harnad@cogsci.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Wed May 21 1997 - 11:25:25 BST

> From: Cherry, Sandra <sc1396@soton.ac.uk>
>>
>> (15) According to Sperber & Wilson's relevance theory, which would be
>> most relevant to you now:
>>
>> A. a statement that gives you the answer to question 15?
>>
>> B. an explanation of how to compute the answers to all 36 questions in
>> 18 minutes of calculation?
>>
>> C. an explanation of how to compute the answers to 18 of the questions
>> in 9 minutes of calculation?
>>
>> D. a list of the answers to 6 of the 36 questions?
>>
>> E. ***a list of the answers to all 36 of last year's questions?
>

> I though that Sperber & Wilson's relevance theory was that you get the
> most RELEVANT information with the least amount of cognitive effort.

No, it was that relevance = most implications/effort.

[Information would be another approach, but that would be defined by
the alternatives that matter to you (as in the 6-button lunch machine
example), and your uncertainty about alternatives; then information
would reduce that uncertainty. That is the classical definition of
information, but not S & W's definition of relevance.]

> So I thought it was A: a statement that gives you the answer to
> question 15, but it could also be both B and C depending on how much
> time you had for the test

How much time you have for the test is not relevant: It is how many
implication, weighted by the amount of effort (= time):